[Kevin] This is a mix of covers that recasts the originals. It looks heavier than it really is.
[Kevin] This is a cover mix that looks heavier than it really is. Essentially, it’s a rock / alternative / metal / country mix.
It started with my friend Don Heeter’s “Goofy Sh*t” play list that was basically a list of covers he liked where the original had been redefined by the cover band putting their own spin on the song. The list started with Crowbar’s recasting of Gary Wright’s 1976 radio classic “Dreamweaver” as a cauldron of churning sludge that still sounds pleasing to the ears. If you listen to nothing else on this mix, check out Dreamweaver.
Heeter’s list also had “The Ghost of Tom Joad,” “Orion” (which is a great acoustic version of the Metallica original), “Simple Man,” “Buick McKaine,” and “I Never Dreamed.” One night while drinking we added “I’ve Got the Fire,” “Imagine,” and “Run Like Hell.” Then to round it out I added the rest. Hope you enjoy it.
As always, if you like a song or a band, please support them by purchasing their CDs, LPs, mp3s, or DVDs, and by going to see them when they tour…
- Dreamweaver — Crowbar, original by Gary Wright
- Sounds of Silence — Ascension of the Watchers, original by Simon and Garfunkel
- *Ghost of Tom Joad — Rage Against the Machine, original by Bruce Springsteen
- Imagine — A Perfect Circle, original by John Lennon
- I’ve Got the Fire — Iron Maiden, original by Montrose
- Orion — Rodrigo Y Gabriela, original by Metallica
- Simple Man — Deftones, original by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Three Days — L7, original by Willie Nelson
- Crossroads — Rush, original by Robert Johnson
- Buick McKaine — Guns’n’Roses, original by T. Rex
- Get a Grip (on Yourself) — Prong, original by The Stranglers
- Run Like Hell — Kitty, original by Pink Floyd
- Slip Kid — Anvil & Franky Perez, original by The Who
- Evil Hearted You — The Pixies, original by The Yardbirds
- Rated X — Neko Case, original by Loretta Lynn
- I Never Dreamed — Black Label Society, original by Lynyrd Skynyrd
*Grapes of Wrath (1940)
At first I thought I’d split this into two mixes, but after listening to it, 90 minutes is perfect for this set of songs; it just took on a life of it’s own. There’s a lot of newer stuff on here, with some classics tossed in for depth. I don’t talk on it, partly for length but also partly because I think the heavy mixes sound better with no voice on them. I might change my mind back, but that’s where I stand on this controversial issue for now.
This playlist goes out to my buddy D. Heeter and is thus named – thanks for all your help and your friendship over the last few years man.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:29:16 — 163.4MB)
Subscribe: Android |
- Clutch – Mice and Gods
- Black Label Society – World of Trouble
- Austrian Death Machine – Hello California / Get to the Choppa!
- Icepick – Born to Crush You
- Ramallah – Ramallah
- Pro Pain – Where We Stand
- Where Fear and Weapons Meet – Under the Bridge
- Blood for Blood – Maldito
- Puya – Oasis
- Born of Osiris – Bow Down
- Hatebreed – Betrayed by Life
- Madball – Show No Fear
- Cavalera Conspiracy – Hearts of Darkness
- Nailbomb – Sh*t Pinata / For F*ck’s Sake
- If Hope Dies – Anthem for the Unemployable
- Where Fear and Weapons Meet – Not a Trend
- Since the Flood – I Am What I Am
- Deftones – 7 Words
- Motorhead – Buried Alive
- Clutch – The Mob Goes Wild
- Disfear – Get it Off
- Throwdown – S.C.U.M.
- Primer 55 – Bullsh*t
- Gojira – Vacuity
- Down – Bury Me in Smoke
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (99.4MB)
Subscribe: Android |
Rock Mix, but I’ve lured you into listening with the clever title. Yes, I’m a prick. Artists this episode include local fave and object of my man-crush Mt. St. Helens, Black Tide, G’n’R, Black Label Society, Down, Warrant, Finger Eleven, Incubus, AC/DC, Van Halen, Scorpions, Mastodon, Faith No More, Bullet for My Valentine and Tenacious D.
Barack out with your… well, you figure it out.
- The Time of Low Volume – Mt. St. Helens
- Shockwave – Black Tide
- You Could Be Mine – Guns ‘n’ Roses
- Destruction Overdrive – Black Label Society
- Stone the Crow – Down
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin – Warrant
- Paralyzer – Finger Eleven
- Privilege – Incubus
- If You Want Blood (You’ve Got It) – AC/DC
- Unchained – Van Halen
- Media Overkill – Scorpions
- Crystal Skull – Mastodon
- Falling to Pieces – Faith No More
- Warriors of Time – Black Tide
- Scream Aim Fire – Bullet For My Valentine
- The Metal – Tenacious D.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (76.7MB)
Subscribe: Android |
I was watching our President the other day and he dropped a line about avoiding World War III by keeping Iran from having a nuclear weapon. Now, whatever you think about the state of politics in the US or the world today, there’s no doubt that there’s a lot of people that just don’t like the U.S. and think we’re being too imperialistic. So this is a mix I’ve been kicking around for a while and it seems like it’s gestated long enough. This mix includes music from the soundtrack of Team America, Black Label Society, Rage Against the Machine, Front 242, The Cure, Dropkick Murphys, Sex Pistols, David Bowie, Trent Reznor, Tears for Fears, Ween, Static-X, Motörhead, Gogol Bordello, Ladytron, Outkast, Rammstein and Nine Inch Nails. Strength and Honor, citizens!