Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Well it isn’t St. Patrick’s Day yet of course, but it’s coming up, today is the Saturday before, and I’ll wager many of you are already enjoying the holiday cheer.
I’m more ignorant of my Irish heritage than I’d wish to be, but there isn’t anybody left to teach it to me at this point, so I have to content myself with the Americanized version. And I like it well enough; I’ve seen Darby O’Gill and the Little People more times than I’d care to admit, I love a good dark ale, I vote early and often and I have a ton of kids.
But one part of that heritage I’d love to explore is the music. I love the idea of the traditional music session, where talented local musicians gather around their favorite table in the local pub and play sets of traditional reels and jigs. I also love the modern take on Irish folk music from bands like the Pogues, and even the Irish-influenced punk and metal bands out there. And yes I probably do like the Pogues too much, what’s it to you? So anyway, I’ve put together a little mix for all of you, and I hope you’ll give it a listen during your St. Patrick’s Day festivities and that it’ll help you get into the spirit that much more.
- The Pogues – Mountain Dew
- The Fenians – Come Out Ye Black & Tans
- David Kincaid – Kelly’s Irish Brigade
- Dropkick Murphys – Worker’s Song
- Stiff Little Fingers – Tin Soldiers
- Flogging Molly – Factory Girls
- The Waterboys – And a Bang on the Ear
- Various (Music at Matt Molloy’s) – Cape Breton Jigs, McGurk’s
- Various (Music at Matt Molloy’s) – Kilkelly
- Waylander – Bru Na Boinne
- Cruachan – The Very Wild Rover
- The Pogues – Medley: The Recruiting Sergeant/The Rocky Road To Dublin/The Galway Races
- The Bothy Band – Old Hag You Have Killed Me
- Shane Macgowan and the Popes – More Pricks Than Kicks
- The Dubliners – Fields Of Athenry
- Lúnasa – O’Carolan’s Welcome/Rolling In The Barrel
- The Pogues – If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:07:18 — 89.3MB)
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (108.6MB)
Archaeological evidence dates domesticated dogs living with Native Americans at least 14,000 years ago. I suspect one day they’ll find evidence going back a lot further. Just a hunch. But until then, here’s to 14,000 years of friendship!
This mix has a special bonus track for dogs (or just people who like frog calls). Play the track for your dog and you should see an interesting reaction.
- Lassie Come Home Trailer (1943)
- Snoopy vs. The Red Baron – Royal Guardsmen
- Canis lupus – The Aquabats
- Slow Dog – Belly
- Jesse – Paw
- George Carlin, from Carlin on Campus
- How Much is that Doggie in the Window – The Baja Marimba Band
- The Underdog – Spoon
- Do the Dog – The Specials
- MItch Fatel
- Dog House – The Legendary Hucklebucks
- Hound Dog – Big Mama Thornton
- Dirty Old Egg-Suckin’ Hound – Johnny Cash
- Brian Regan
- Dog Years – Rush
- Dogs and Chaplains – The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- Cheech & Chong
- Fido, Your Leash is too Long – The Magnetic Fields
- Move It On Over – Hank Williams
- Bad Day – Samiam
- George Carlin, from On the Road
- Pauly the Dog – Agnostic Front
- Old King – Neil Young
- 10 Dead Dogs – Wild Sweet Orange
- Every Dog Has Its Day – Flogging Molly
- Stray – Fetchin Bones
- I Wanna Be a Drug-Sniffing Dog – Lard
- SPECIAL BONUS TRACK FOR DOGS
NOTE: I have a hardware issue I’m working on but until then the drive crunches a bit and so there are a few glitches here and there throughout the mix, but nothing Earth-shattering. If I wait until I fix the problem it will be months before this mix is released, so just releasing as is. It’s not that bad.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (94.5MB)
This mix goes out to Julie in J-town, PA. That’s right. I said it.
My original plan was to defy FCC regulations and make a play-by-play St. Patrick’s Day debauchery-laden mix while drinking, but this cold/flu thing has waylaid my plans. At any rate, I hope you enjoy this inebrious collage of the Celts and sundry other friends.
- Dropkick Murphys – The Rocky Road to Dublin
- The The – Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)
- Flogging Molly – Seven Deadly Sins
- Pogues – Sally McLennane
- Frankie Yankovic – Too Fat Polka
- Motorhead – Down on Me
- The Tossers – No Loot, No Booze, No Fun
- Thin Lizzy – Running Back
- Rod Stewart – You’re In My Heart
- Herb Albert & the Tijuana Brass – Taste of Honey
- (unknown) – F*ck the British Army
- Frankie Yankovic – Beer Barrel Polka
- Pogues – Whiskey in the Jar
- Frankie Yankovic – In Heaven There is No Beer
- Flogging Molly – Drunken Lullabies
- Dropkick Murphys – Kiss Me I’m Sh*tfaced
- Frankie Yankovic – Who Stole the Keeshka
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (0.0KB)
With Might & Main – Weeks of endless contract work and regular work combined have kept me hammering away at the computer while ITunes plays aimlessly. This mix pulls out the songs that stuck out to me during that time and then provided a good mix while I worked up through Christmas. This steady, dependable flow of songs includes ABBA, The Epoxies, The Dead Milkmen, Shane MacGowan & The Popes, Limpopo, Peter Tosh, James Ray and Gangwar, The Brandos, Love Tractor, Tracy Chapman, Flogging Molly, L7, Down, KMFDM, Patti Smith, and Lou Reed. Perfect to pass the time during hard labor.