Confession: Since around 1987 with the whole Bo Jackson/Bo Diddley campaign, I’ve been pretty fascinated with Bo Diddley. When The Man passed away about two months back, I spent a good several weeks playing through a wide collection of material that he either wrote, played or helped inspire.
Much like how Funk will probably forever be defined by the strong downbeat on the “1” as exemplified by everyone ripping off James Brown, the beat of a freight train rolling unstoppably through the heart of rock and blues will forever be tied to Bo Diddley.
In this mix, I’ll take you chronologically through music that the man himself wrote, played and inspired. And… since this is taking place almost two months after his passing, it’s not even hip and trendy to do so, yet I do it anyway.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (90.6MB)
This tribute includes…
- “Bo Diddley” – Art Neville & The Meters
- “I’m a Man” – Bo Diddley
- “Not Fade Away” – Buddy Holly
- “(Marie’s the Name of) His Latest Flame” – Elvis Presley
- “Cannonball” – Duane Eddy
- “Willie and the Hand Jive” – Shuggie Otis
- “I’m Crying” – The Animals
- “I Want Candy” – The Strangeloves
- “Magic Bus” – The Who
- “1969” – Iggy Pop & the Stooges
- “Pills” – New York Dolls
- “She’s the One” – Bruce Springsteen
- “Don’t Let Him Go” – REO Speedwagon
- “Who Do You Love” – George Thorogood
- “I Want Candy” – Bow Wow Wow
- “How Soon is Now?” – The Smiths
- “Mr. Brownstone” – Guns N’ Roses
- “Faith” – George Michael
- “Desire” – U2
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 52:12 — 71.7MB)
The subject of this delinquent-but-still-special mix is John Locke. No, not that Limey philosopher who theorized that the mind is a tabula rasa (blank slate). I’m talking about the character on ABC’s wildly frustrating and popular TV series Lost. Season whatever just closed with some major revelations about my boy John. Like the show, this mix deals in flashbacks, semi-present island time, and, if you’re lucky, flash forwards. But mostly, it doesn’t make sense. Beware that this mix contains spoilers.
Get lost in the mix:
- Electric Light Orchestra – I’m Alive
- The Ramones – I Believe In Miracles
- Guns N’ Roses – Paradise City
- Eels – My Beloved Monster
- Neutral Milk Hotel – King of Carrot Flowers, Part 1
- Death Cab For Cutie – I Will Follow You Into The Dark
- Downset – Anger
- Jane’s Addiction – Had a Dad
- Lodger – I Love Death
- Men At Work – Down Under
- Soundgarden – Blow Up The Outside World
- Bad Company – Bad Company
- Queen – All Dead, All Dead
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:09:30 — 95.5MB)
I’m not Casey Kasum, but I’m taking Long Distance Dedications from you, the listeners, this Valentine’s Day.
Music from Otis Redding, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Marvin Gaye, Eric Clapton, Sleep Out, Rufus Wainwright, Donovan, Prince, The Magnetic Fields, Pink Floyd, Justin Currie, Aerosmith, Meat Loaf, Guns ‘n’ Roses and Pat Benetar.
- My Lover’s Prayer – Otis Redding
- Midnight Train to Georgia – Gladys Knight and the Pips
- You’re All I Need to Get By – Marvin Gaye
- Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
- In Memory Of… – Sleep Out
- The Tower of Learning – Rufus Wainwright
- Aye My Love – Donovan
- If I Was Your Girlfriend – Prince
- The Book of Love – The Magnetic Fields
- Mudmen – Pink Floyd
- Walking Through You – Justin Currie
- I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing – Aerosmith
- Rock and Roll Dreams Come True – Meat Loaf
- November Rain – Guns ‘n’ Roses
- We Belong – Pat Benetar
A couple of other things of note this post:
If you’re interested, we have a mailing list you can join to discuss playlists, make requests, talk about how we put together shows and even tell us how to improve the shows, as well as participate in shows like this where you, the listener, can participate. If you’re interested, please sign up at http://groups.google.com/group/radio-gen1us
Likewise, with four contributing DJs on the podcast, we’re always looking forward to getting hooked onto new sounds, so if you have a show in mind, get on the list and we’ll be happy to coach you or even do a call-in where we mix it up with you. The point is, if you like what we’re doing and you think it can be even better, please give us a shout!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (99.4MB)
Rock Mix, but I’ve lured you into listening with the clever title. Yes, I’m a prick. Artists this episode include local fave and object of my man-crush Mt. St. Helens, Black Tide, G’n’R, Black Label Society, Down, Warrant, Finger Eleven, Incubus, AC/DC, Van Halen, Scorpions, Mastodon, Faith No More, Bullet for My Valentine and Tenacious D.
Barack out with your… well, you figure it out.
- The Time of Low Volume – Mt. St. Helens
- Shockwave – Black Tide
- You Could Be Mine – Guns ‘n’ Roses
- Destruction Overdrive – Black Label Society
- Stone the Crow – Down
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin – Warrant
- Paralyzer – Finger Eleven
- Privilege – Incubus
- If You Want Blood (You’ve Got It) – AC/DC
- Unchained – Van Halen
- Media Overkill – Scorpions
- Crystal Skull – Mastodon
- Falling to Pieces – Faith No More
- Warriors of Time – Black Tide
- Scream Aim Fire – Bullet For My Valentine
- The Metal – Tenacious D.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (108.8MB)
I’ve put in almost 24 hours of solid playing time in the past couple of weeks between Guitar Hero III and Rockband. Songs here include awesome tracks by Poison, Social Distortion, Mountain, Blue Oyster Cult, Bon Jovi, Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, The Killers, The Who, Kaiser Chiefs, The Stone Roses, The Rolling Stones, Sonic Youth, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Dead Kennedys, Pixies, Guns N’ Roses, The Police and Slipknot.
Oh, and if you make it through to the end, you’ll unlock Dragonforce, too 🙂