[Kevin] This is a cover mix that looks heavier than it really is. Essentially, it’s a rock / alternative / metal / country mix.
It started with my friend Don Heeter’s “Goofy Sh*t” play list that was basically a list of covers he liked where the original had been redefined by the cover band putting their own spin on the song. The list started with Crowbar’s recasting of Gary Wright’s 1976 radio classic “Dreamweaver” as a cauldron of churning sludge that still sounds pleasing to the ears. If you listen to nothing else on this mix, check out Dreamweaver.
Heeter’s list also had “The Ghost of Tom Joad,” “Orion” (which is a great acoustic version of the Metallica original), “Simple Man,” “Buick McKaine,” and “I Never Dreamed.” One night while drinking we added “I’ve Got the Fire,” “Imagine,” and “Run Like Hell.” Then to round it out I added the rest. Hope you enjoy it.
As always, if you like a song or a band, please support them by purchasing their CDs, LPs, mp3s, or DVDs, and by going to see them when they tour…
- Dreamweaver — Crowbar, original by Gary Wright
- Sounds of Silence — Ascension of the Watchers, original by Simon and Garfunkel
- *Ghost of Tom Joad — Rage Against the Machine, original by Bruce Springsteen
- Imagine — A Perfect Circle, original by John Lennon
- I’ve Got the Fire — Iron Maiden, original by Montrose
- Orion — Rodrigo Y Gabriela, original by Metallica
- Simple Man — Deftones, original by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Three Days — L7, original by Willie Nelson
- Crossroads — Rush, original by Robert Johnson
- Buick McKaine — Guns’n’Roses, original by T. Rex
- Get a Grip (on Yourself) — Prong, original by The Stranglers
- Run Like Hell — Kitty, original by Pink Floyd
- Slip Kid — Anvil & Franky Perez, original by The Who
- Evil Hearted You — The Pixies, original by The Yardbirds
- Rated X — Neko Case, original by Loretta Lynn
- I Never Dreamed — Black Label Society, original by Lynyrd Skynyrd
*Grapes of Wrath (1940)