Music culling my favorite performances from Lollapalooza 2009!
So many pleasant and welcome surprises this year. Acts I thought might just be “okay” were insanely, life-changing phenomenal. Acts I had high hopes for — some delivered better than my high expectations; others faltered. At the end of the three days, I surmized a few things: I’m getting too old for this sh*t; new music is totally awesome and no matter how mild the summer is, Lollapalooza will always land on the hottest weekend of the summer.
I had the BEST time hanging out with my buddy Michael (@romacafe) the entire weekend. I was so happy to hang out as much as we could with my old pal Dennis and even with twitter friend (and major huge Tool fan) Lisa (@kavka). Everyday we seemed to make friends around us, despite inclement weather.
I hope you like this mix. Santigold brought something more than an A-game with her this year.
- Depeche Mode – A Question of Time
- Souja Boy Tell ‘Em – Turn My Swag On
- Hold the Line – Major Lazer
- Brooklyn Go Hard – Jay Z
- Shove It – Santigold
- The ’59 Sound – The Gaslight Anthem
- Fitz and the Dizzyspells – Andrew Bird
- Wolf Like Me – TV On the Radio
- Everyday I Love You Less and Less – Kaiser Chiefs
- We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed – Los Campesinos!
- Little Secrets – Passion Pit
- This Tornado Loves You – Neko Case
- Jambi – Tool
- The General Specific – Band of Horses
- Creator – Santigold
- Unstoppable – Santigold
- Red F – Dan Deacon
- Vampires – Thievery Corporation
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:02:04 — 85.2MB)
Welcome back, friends and loyal listeners. Apologies for the delay. Today we bring you a solid hour of hits by bitter, drunken slobs — which would’ve made sense had it come out when you were all hungover on New Year’s Day. Music provided to you by the talents of Kaiser Chiefs, The Smiths, New Order, Lou Reed, Kid Rock, Hank Williams Jr., Meat Loaf, The Pixies, The New Pornographers, Van Halen, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Motorhead and Eminem. You guys enjoy this bouncy mix about miserable souls.
By the way, if you notice the audio quality is better, please give me a shout out. I’ve spent some time over this break experimenting with Audacity and Audio Hijack Pro to improve the voiceover and the music mastering for the mix down.
- Kaiser Chiefs – I Predict a Riot
- The Smiths – Bigmouth Strikes Again
- New Order – Love Vigilantes
- Lou Reed – Satellite of Love
- Kid Rock – Drunk in the Morning
- Hank Williams, Jr. – Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
- Meat Loaf – Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad
- The Pixies – Here Comes Your Man
- The New Pornographers – All the Old Showstoppers
- Van Halen – Take Your Whiskey Home
- The Rolling Stones – Street Fighting Man
- Led Zeppelin – Your Time is Gonna Come
- Motörhead – Ace of Spades
- Supersuckers – Jailbreak (live)
- Eminem – Kill You
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (108.8MB)
I’ve put in almost 24 hours of solid playing time in the past couple of weeks between Guitar Hero III and Rockband. Songs here include awesome tracks by Poison, Social Distortion, Mountain, Blue Oyster Cult, Bon Jovi, Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, The Killers, The Who, Kaiser Chiefs, The Stone Roses, The Rolling Stones, Sonic Youth, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Dead Kennedys, Pixies, Guns N’ Roses, The Police and Slipknot.
Oh, and if you make it through to the end, you’ll unlock Dragonforce, too 🙂