In another first for Radio Gen1us, Jim and Aaron tag-team to bring you the most awesomest mix so far this… month! No voiceover. No explicit lyrics (or hardly recognizable). You can’t help but move to your own beat listening to this mix.
Aaron: We wanted to do something stemming from all the excitement and joy around the Inauguration. And even though the times are certainly getting tight for us and everyone we know, we’re doing our best to keep spirits up. We started each with a set of songs with the premise of being positive, but not love songs or not overly sappy songs. This was a challenge for me, because I have a certain leaning to going ironic and witty. Fortunately, when it came time to actually get together we scrapped that. There could easily be an entire episode with just us talking about how we collaborated on this mix, working off each other and how we generally approach putting together mixes, but this time we’re just going to make you shake your money maker.
Jim: He should have called it “Jim and Aaron at Tanagra.” 2 playlists met in the vasty deep and their captains could only communicate in the language of music. We didn’t have time to put together any voiceovers but the mix doesn’t need it ’cause I think if you check it out you’ll be feeling us by the end. Like Aaron said, we started out trying to do an upbeat celebrational inaugurational mix, but the conversation ended up in other places. Darmok, baby. Darmok.
- The Beach Boys – Dance, Dance, Dance
- Was, Not Was – Walk the Dinosaur
- The Spinners – Rubberband Man
- Creedence Clearwater Revival – Up Around the Bend
- The Submarines – You, Me and the Bourgeoisie
- The Hold Steady – How a Resurrection Really Feels
- The Call – Let the Day Begin
- The Beastie Boys – Stand Together
- A Tribe Called Quest – Scenario (Young Nation Mix)
- Junior Senior – Move Your Feet
- Depeche Mode – Just Can’t Get Enough
- Luther Allison – You Can’t Always Get What You Want
- Fishbone – Everyday Sunshine
- Al Green – Take Me to the River
- Matisyahu – King Without a Crown
- The Pogues – Fiesta