First of all, Happy New Year!!!! As is tradition since time in memoriam, the first mixes of a new year tend to be reflections on the best of what we heard in the previous year. Our first mix of 2012 comes from Justine Hoyer, who gifted us with this excellent mix of her faves from 2011. Hard to argue with any of these. Earlier this year, Justine gave us our 100th mix (The Spring Mix) and it was pretty awesome, as well.
Aaron’s note: Everyone welcome Jason, our first guest DJ!
The term Halloween comes from “All Hallows’ Eve” as it is the eve of “All Hallows’ Day”, which is now also known as All Saints’ Day. Halloween originated in Gaelic culters as a celebration of the end of Harvest Season. Irish and Scotish immigrants continued varied versions of the tradition and brought it to North America in the nineteenth century.
The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31 the boundary between the alive and the dead ceased to exist, and the dead became dangerous for the living by causing problems such as sickness or damaged crops. The living held festivals that involved bonfires, into which bones of slaughtered livestock were thrown. Costumes and masks were also worn at an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or placate them. So since most of us aren’t farmers, but often get sick during the fall season (at least I know I do), then we might want to consider celebrating Halloween to drive out all negativity and evil spirits from our lives and have some fun while doing it. How you celebrate it is your choice, but as long as you know it’s actually not a celebration of evil spirits or promoting types of morally wrong paganism as some “modern” religious groups might have you to believe. This mix won’t change your life or make you a sinner, but should put you in the mood for Halloween and turn you on to some bone chillin’ tracks you’ve never heard before. Cheers!
- Introduction – Replik8
- The Boogie Monster – Gnarls Barkley [http://www.last.fm/music/Gnarls+Barkley]
- Dancin’ On My Grave – Ghostland Observatory [http://www.last.fm/music/Ghostland+Observatory]
- Paperbag Writer – Radiohead [http://www.last.fm/music/Radiohead]
- Lusty – Lamb [http://www.last.fm/music/Lamb]
- Buggface – Big Boi [http://www.last.fm/music/Big+Boi]
- Scarecrow – Beck[http://www.last.fm/music/Beck]
- The Rip – Portishead [http://www.last.fm/music/Portishead]
- Last Living Souls – Gorillaz [http://www.last.fm/music/Gorillaz]
- Where I End And You Begin – Radiohead [http://www.last.fm/music/Radiohead]
- Monster – Chab feat. JD Davis [http://www.last.fm/music/Chab]
- Where Is My Mind – Pixies [http://www.last.fm/music/Pixies]
- Cowboys – Portishead [http://www.last.fm/music/Portishead]
- ATLiens – Outkast [http://www.last.fm/music/Outkast]
- Smile Like You Mean It – The Killers [http://www.last.fm/music/The+Killers]
- Christiansands – Tricky [[http://www.last.fm/music/Tricky]
- I’m Afraid of Americans – David Bowie [http://www.last.fm/music/David+Bowie]
- My Mind Is Playin’ Tricks On Me – Ghetto Boys [http://www.last.fm/music/Geto+Boys]
- The Eraser – Thom Yorke [http://www.last.fm/music/Thom+Yorke]
- Don’t Save Us From The Flames – M83 [http://www.last.fm/music/M83]