Alright. It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these. I have a few in the works, an alt-country mix, a show about great drumming performances, some others. But they are still unformed. Today I had an epiphany. I just want to rock your faces off, that’s all.
So I put together this mix. There are no clever audio clips and there’s not a lot of bullshit from me either. Just 15 tracks of rock and roll, from classic rock to indie bombast to power pop to punk rock. This is the kind of stuff that makes mice explode.
- The Hold Steady – Stevie Nix
- Lucero – What Else Would You Have Me Be
- The Rolling Stones – Bitch
- Led Zeppelin – Good Times Bad Times
- Styx – Born For Adventure
- Queen – One Vision
- AC/DC – Highway To Hell
- The Pursuit Of Happiness – I’m An Adult Now
- Ted Leo & the Pharmacists – Timorous Me
- Superchunk – Seed Toss
- Andrew Vincent and the Pirates – Ladies, Ladies, Ladies (Houseboat)
- The Replacements – Gary’s Got A Boner
- New York Dolls – Personality Crisis
- Cloak, Dagger – Bended Knee
- Death – Politicians in My Eyes
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (84.3MB)
Confession: Since around 1987 with the whole Bo Jackson/Bo Diddley campaign, I’ve been pretty fascinated with Bo Diddley. When The Man passed away about two months back, I spent a good several weeks playing through a wide collection of material that he either wrote, played or helped inspire.
Much like how Funk will probably forever be defined by the strong downbeat on the “1” as exemplified by everyone ripping off James Brown, the beat of a freight train rolling unstoppably through the heart of rock and blues will forever be tied to Bo Diddley.
In this mix, I’ll take you chronologically through music that the man himself wrote, played and inspired. And… since this is taking place almost two months after his passing, it’s not even hip and trendy to do so, yet I do it anyway.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (90.6MB)
This tribute includes…
- “Bo Diddley” – Art Neville & The Meters
- “I’m a Man” – Bo Diddley
- “Not Fade Away” – Buddy Holly
- “(Marie’s the Name of) His Latest Flame” – Elvis Presley
- “Cannonball” – Duane Eddy
- “Willie and the Hand Jive” – Shuggie Otis
- “I’m Crying” – The Animals
- “I Want Candy” – The Strangeloves
- “Magic Bus” – The Who
- “1969” – Iggy Pop & the Stooges
- “Pills” – New York Dolls
- “She’s the One” – Bruce Springsteen
- “Don’t Let Him Go” – REO Speedwagon
- “Who Do You Love” – George Thorogood
- “I Want Candy” – Bow Wow Wow
- “How Soon is Now?” – The Smiths
- “Mr. Brownstone” – Guns N’ Roses
- “Faith” – George Michael
- “Desire” – U2
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (66.0MB)
This week’s episode of Radio Gen1us takes us to the very cliffs of insanity that were the American Punk scene starting in the late 60s with The Velvet Underground and their connections to the UK with the Sex Pistols and the Clash. Artists this week include The Buzzcocks, The Jam, MC5, David Bowie, The Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop, Richard Hell of the Heartbreakers, The Runaways, Patti Smith, Television, The New York Dolls, The Ramones, The Dead Boys, The Sex Pistols, The Damned, The Clash and Plastic Bertrand (just for fun).
Continue reading “#0003 – File under: Punk, History”