[Kevin] This is a mix of covers that recasts the originals. It looks heavier than it really is.
[Kevin] This is a cover mix that looks heavier than it really is. Essentially, it’s a rock / alternative / metal / country mix.
It started with my friend Don Heeter’s “Goofy Sh*t” play list that was basically a list of covers he liked where the original had been redefined by the cover band putting their own spin on the song. The list started with Crowbar’s recasting of Gary Wright’s 1976 radio classic “Dreamweaver” as a cauldron of churning sludge that still sounds pleasing to the ears. If you listen to nothing else on this mix, check out Dreamweaver.
Heeter’s list also had “The Ghost of Tom Joad,” “Orion” (which is a great acoustic version of the Metallica original), “Simple Man,” “Buick McKaine,” and “I Never Dreamed.” One night while drinking we added “I’ve Got the Fire,” “Imagine,” and “Run Like Hell.” Then to round it out I added the rest. Hope you enjoy it.
As always, if you like a song or a band, please support them by purchasing their CDs, LPs, mp3s, or DVDs, and by going to see them when they tour…
- Dreamweaver — Crowbar, original by Gary Wright
- Sounds of Silence — Ascension of the Watchers, original by Simon and Garfunkel
- *Ghost of Tom Joad — Rage Against the Machine, original by Bruce Springsteen
- Imagine — A Perfect Circle, original by John Lennon
- I’ve Got the Fire — Iron Maiden, original by Montrose
- Orion — Rodrigo Y Gabriela, original by Metallica
- Simple Man — Deftones, original by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Three Days — L7, original by Willie Nelson
- Crossroads — Rush, original by Robert Johnson
- Buick McKaine — Guns’n’Roses, original by T. Rex
- Get a Grip (on Yourself) — Prong, original by The Stranglers
- Run Like Hell — Kitty, original by Pink Floyd
- Slip Kid — Anvil & Franky Perez, original by The Who
- Evil Hearted You — The Pixies, original by The Yardbirds
- Rated X — Neko Case, original by Loretta Lynn
- I Never Dreamed — Black Label Society, original by Lynyrd Skynyrd
*Grapes of Wrath (1940)
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (108.8MB)
Subscribe: Android |
I’ve put in almost 24 hours of solid playing time in the past couple of weeks between Guitar Hero III and Rockband. Songs here include awesome tracks by Poison, Social Distortion, Mountain, Blue Oyster Cult, Bon Jovi, Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, The Killers, The Who, Kaiser Chiefs, The Stone Roses, The Rolling Stones, Sonic Youth, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Dead Kennedys, Pixies, Guns N’ Roses, The Police and Slipknot.
Oh, and if you make it through to the end, you’ll unlock Dragonforce, too 🙂
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (76.7MB)
Subscribe: Android |
I was watching our President the other day and he dropped a line about avoiding World War III by keeping Iran from having a nuclear weapon. Now, whatever you think about the state of politics in the US or the world today, there’s no doubt that there’s a lot of people that just don’t like the U.S. and think we’re being too imperialistic. So this is a mix I’ve been kicking around for a while and it seems like it’s gestated long enough. This mix includes music from the soundtrack of Team America, Black Label Society, Rage Against the Machine, Front 242, The Cure, Dropkick Murphys, Sex Pistols, David Bowie, Trent Reznor, Tears for Fears, Ween, Static-X, Motörhead, Gogol Bordello, Ladytron, Outkast, Rammstein and Nine Inch Nails. Strength and Honor, citizens!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (84.2MB)
Subscribe: Android |
This week’s mix is loud, explicit and angry. If that doesn’t sound like you, do yourself a favor and listen back to Episodes #12 and #13 for some lighter fare. If however, you are a bitter person with unrelenting anger in your heart… well, then listen on brothers and sisters. This weeks mix includes Pantera, Coal Chamber, Cypress Hill, Dope, Notorious B.I.G., Anthrax, Disturbed, System of a Down (and the Wu-Tang Clan), One Minute Silence, Trailer Hitch, Mushroomhead, Machine Head, Nothingface, Mudvayne, Drowning Pool, Slayer, Rage Agasint the Machine, Sevendust and 50 Cent.
This mix is dedicated to Matt Cafasso and Justin Watkins. Rage… we’re all sorry for the hurt you hide inside your wounded soul… and Justin, Happy Birthday, brother. Maybe this year, you’ll be able to finally grow that mustache.
*Note: Most of my love for metal was nurtured by Watkins and O’Connell and further encouraged by a Mr. Foss.