For all of you who still listen to the “Dream A Little Dream” soundtrack or can’t stop singing Billy Ocean tunes to yourself — this is that kind of mix.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:35:38 — 131.3MB)
Subscribe: Android |
First off, it’s my birthday and I just want to say that I feel very humbled that I have so many friends (not just “friends”) who genuinely like me both because of and in spite of my quirks. One such quirk is illuminating the seedy underbelly of your musical tastes. Yes, for all of you guys who still listen to the “Dream A Little Dream” soundtrack or can’t stop singing Billy Ocean tunes to yourself — this is that kind of mix.
Behold… and weep:
- Bob Dylan – The Man in Me
- Climax Blues Band – Couldn’t Get It Right
- Hall & Oates – Private Eyes
- Styx – Too Much Time On My Hands
- Steve Winwood – Take It as It Comes
- Tom Petty – Zombie Zoo
- Stevie Nicks – Stand Back
- Thomas Dolby – Europa and the Pilot Twins
- XTC – Making Plans for Nigel
- Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark – Enola Gay
- Wang Chung – Praying to a New God
- Yes – It Can Happen
- Bonnie Tyler – It’s a Heartache
- Boston – Can’tcha Say (You Believe in Me?)
- Survivor – The Moment of Truth
- Frank Stallone – Far From Over
- Billy Joel – Big Man on Mulberry Street
- Toto – Rosanna
- Phil Collins – I Cannot Believe It’s True
- Barbara Streisand (with Barry Gibb) – Guilty
Alright. It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these. I have a few in the works, an alt-country mix, a show about great drumming performances, some others. But they are still unformed. Today I had an epiphany. I just want to rock your faces off, that’s all.
So I put together this mix. There are no clever audio clips and there’s not a lot of bullshit from me either. Just 15 tracks of rock and roll, from classic rock to indie bombast to power pop to punk rock. This is the kind of stuff that makes mice explode.
- The Hold Steady – Stevie Nix
- Lucero – What Else Would You Have Me Be
- The Rolling Stones – Bitch
- Led Zeppelin – Good Times Bad Times
- Styx – Born For Adventure
- Queen – One Vision
- AC/DC – Highway To Hell
- The Pursuit Of Happiness – I’m An Adult Now
- Ted Leo & the Pharmacists – Timorous Me
- Superchunk – Seed Toss
- Andrew Vincent and the Pirates – Ladies, Ladies, Ladies (Houseboat)
- The Replacements – Gary’s Got A Boner
- New York Dolls – Personality Crisis
- Cloak, Dagger – Bended Knee
- Death – Politicians in My Eyes
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (84.3MB)
Subscribe: Android |
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (97.4MB)
Subscribe: Android |
Now that the world has ended, what happens next? Thanks to the miracle of MTV, we now have some answers.
I have been wanting to do an 80s mix for a while, and as I thought about those songs and that time in my life, I found that the music and the videos for the music were pretty much inseparable in my head. I don’t watch MTV anymore (and from what I hear they don’t play too many music videos anymore either) but in the 80s I did, nearly constantly. With current music, I don’t really have that video frame of reference and the music is simply music. With 80s music though, I could discuss the (sometimes questionable) merits of the music alone but it is difficult to have that discussion without the mental images associated with the music video.
Well I got to thinking about all those great videos, and the ones that kept coming back to me were videos like Duran Duran’s Wild Boys, or The Police’s Synchronicity II, with their strange post-apocalyptic Mad Max type of aesthetic. So I’ve been watching a lot of those videos on youtube and I’ve collected some of the songs for you here.
This is still only an audio podcast, but I discuss the video for each song I play and I’ll put youtube links below.
- Fishbone – Party at Ground Zero
- Duran Duran – Wild Boys
- Rick Springfield – Bop ‘Til You Drop
- The Hooters – All You Zombies
- Queen – Radio Gaga
- Styx – Mr. Roboto
- Art of Noise with Max Headroom – Paranoimia
- Billy Ocean – Loverboy
- King – Love and Pride
- Scandal featuring Patty Smyth – The Warrior
- Taco – Puttin’ on the Ritz
- The Police – Synchronicity II
- Peter Schilling – Major Tom
- Tina Turner – We Don’t Need Another Hero
- World Party – Ship of Fools
PS Look for my Iron DJ entry later this week!