It’s IRON DJ time again! Which means that a bunch of people are going to upload themed mixes and try to compete with me! Unfortunately for them, not only do I have unbeatable taste in music, but this time around I even have the IRON DJ theme going for me: GRADUATION YEAR.
The idea is to put together a mix where the theme is the year you graduated high school. I graduated in 1988, and there was so much good music made that year that I could have made 3 mixes that would blow your mind.
But instead I made this one. It’s semi-autobiographical, in that for the most part, the songs are played in the order in which I discovered them. Not all of this is music I’d have listened to back in 1988, but it’s all great. I hope you dig the mix, and whether you do or not, leave me some feedback in the comments please!
1. Danzig – Mother
2. INXS – Devil Inside
3. Living Colour – Desperate People
4. The Church – Reptile
5. Dead Milkmen – Stuart
6. They Might Be Giants – Ana Ng
7. The Pursuit Of Happiness – I’m An Adult Now
8. Bad Religion – What Can You Do?
9. Fishbone – Bonin’ In The Boneyard
10. Jane’s Addiction – Mountain Song
11. Pixies – Gigantic
12. Fugazi – Give Me The Cure
13. Cowboy Junkies – Sweet Jane
14. The Pogues – Streets of Sorrow/Birmingham Six
15. The Waterboys – World Party
16. Dinosaur Jr. – Freak Scene
17. Sonic Youth – Teen Age Riot
18. Galaxie 500 – Temperature’s Rising
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:20:53 — 136.8MB)
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Well it isn’t St. Patrick’s Day yet of course, but it’s coming up, today is the Saturday before, and I’ll wager many of you are already enjoying the holiday cheer.
I’m more ignorant of my Irish heritage than I’d wish to be, but there isn’t anybody left to teach it to me at this point, so I have to content myself with the Americanized version. And I like it well enough; I’ve seen Darby O’Gill and the Little People more times than I’d care to admit, I love a good dark ale, I vote early and often and I have a ton of kids.
But one part of that heritage I’d love to explore is the music. I love the idea of the traditional music session, where talented local musicians gather around their favorite table in the local pub and play sets of traditional reels and jigs. I also love the modern take on Irish folk music from bands like the Pogues, and even the Irish-influenced punk and metal bands out there. And yes I probably do like the Pogues too much, what’s it to you? So anyway, I’ve put together a little mix for all of you, and I hope you’ll give it a listen during your St. Patrick’s Day festivities and that it’ll help you get into the spirit that much more.
- The Pogues – Mountain Dew
- The Fenians – Come Out Ye Black & Tans
- David Kincaid – Kelly’s Irish Brigade
- Dropkick Murphys – Worker’s Song
- Stiff Little Fingers – Tin Soldiers
- Flogging Molly – Factory Girls
- The Waterboys – And a Bang on the Ear
- Various (Music at Matt Molloy’s) – Cape Breton Jigs, McGurk’s
- Various (Music at Matt Molloy’s) – Kilkelly
- Waylander – Bru Na Boinne
- Cruachan – The Very Wild Rover
- The Pogues – Medley: The Recruiting Sergeant/The Rocky Road To Dublin/The Galway Races
- The Bothy Band – Old Hag You Have Killed Me
- Shane Macgowan and the Popes – More Pricks Than Kicks
- The Dubliners – Fields Of Athenry
- Lúnasa – O’Carolan’s Welcome/Rolling In The Barrel
- The Pogues – If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:07:18 — 89.3MB)