For all of you who still listen to the “Dream A Little Dream” soundtrack or can’t stop singing Billy Ocean tunes to yourself — this is that kind of mix.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:35:38 — 131.3MB)
First off, it’s my birthday and I just want to say that I feel very humbled that I have so many friends (not just “friends”) who genuinely like me both because of and in spite of my quirks. One such quirk is illuminating the seedy underbelly of your musical tastes. Yes, for all of you guys who still listen to the “Dream A Little Dream” soundtrack or can’t stop singing Billy Ocean tunes to yourself — this is that kind of mix.
Behold… and weep:
- Bob Dylan – The Man in Me
- Climax Blues Band – Couldn’t Get It Right
- Hall & Oates – Private Eyes
- Styx – Too Much Time On My Hands
- Steve Winwood – Take It as It Comes
- Tom Petty – Zombie Zoo
- Stevie Nicks – Stand Back
- Thomas Dolby – Europa and the Pilot Twins
- XTC – Making Plans for Nigel
- Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark – Enola Gay
- Wang Chung – Praying to a New God
- Yes – It Can Happen
- Bonnie Tyler – It’s a Heartache
- Boston – Can’tcha Say (You Believe in Me?)
- Survivor – The Moment of Truth
- Frank Stallone – Far From Over
- Billy Joel – Big Man on Mulberry Street
- Toto – Rosanna
- Phil Collins – I Cannot Believe It’s True
- Barbara Streisand (with Barry Gibb) – Guilty
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (93.9MB)
“People with RLS feel uncomfortable sensations in their legs, especially when sitting or lying down, accompanied by an irresistible urge to move about.” Like they got ants in their pants and they just gotta dance? “…often described by people as burning, creeping, tugging, or like insects crawling inside the legs.” So, that’s a yes.
Am I really going to mock what I’m sure is a severely inconvenient affliction, just for a title for this post? Of course not. Well, maybe a bit.
These are the kinds of songs that interface directly with your nervous system. Prepare for a case of happy feet.
- Andrew Vincent and the Pirates – Bahamas
- Glittertind – Flaumen Gar, I Norge er Var
- OOIOO – uma
- Cloak/Dagger – JC Pays the Bills
- Thomas Dolby – The Key to Her Ferrari
- The Mountain Goats – Palmcorder Yajna
- The Thermals – Pillar of Salt
- The Slackers – Peculiar
- Clutch – 10,000 Witnesses
- Primus – Mr. Knowitall
- Return to Forever – Sofistifunk
- The Cure – Why Can’t I Be You
- Les Savy Fav – Dishonest Dan, Pt. 2
- The Dismemberment Plan – Girl O’Clock
- The Buzzcocks – Oh Shit
- Mojo Nixon – Girlfriend in a Coma
- Gitfiddle Jim – Paddlin’ Madeline blues
- The Big Bopper – Chantilly Lace
- Bad Brains – I Against I
- Fishbone – Housework
note: there’s a bit of a glitch in the Mojo Nixon track and I apologize for that. Also, I’ll work on getting my voice levels higher for the next one.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (70.4MB)
This week’s mix comes from a tender spot as two longtime friends seem to be drifting apart and my heart and thoughts go out to both of them. I think they could use a good cry, so if they’re listening, I hope this brings them to the same table so they can work out what’s going down. And since I’m feeling all emo, I’ll share some favorite cry-it-out tunes from O.A.R., Jude Cole, Indigo Girls, Genesis, Hüsker Du, Pearl Jam, Coldplay, Crowded House, Del Amitri, Thomas Dolby, The Verve, Aimee Mann, Imogen Heap and Elliott Smith. Listen and make sure you give (and get) a hug.